Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Some days are yellow. Some are blue. On different days, I’m different too.

I have been asked to work with a child, who needs some improvement regarding decision making skills. Things really get rough for this child after a “tipping-point” event occurs within the day.
As I sit here creating a lesson plan around the themes in “My Many Colored Days” by Dr. Seuss, I cannot help but think that as an adult I, too, still need to make improvements, when it comes to decision making skills-more so than ever on my “Black Days”.  In the book, “Black Days” are described as “MAD. And loud. I howl. I growl at every cloud.”
My ability to reason and critical think about different issues, including ethical ones is just now beginning to blossom (…or so I think). Thank you, God, biology... and life-experiences to boot!
It is not an uncommon occurrence for me to take moments throughout my day to contemplate, reflect, and process the decisions I have made (…sometimes this reflection takes place while blogging, running, reading, praying and in conversations with close friends).  
With struggle come graces. I am a firm believer that hardship has the potential to create strong habits of consideration for the welfare of others, honesty, courage, and admiration for worthy accomplishments.
Subjecting ourselves to and overcoming challenging circumstances and decisions, which force us to step out of our comfort zone, is how we recognize our true strengths…and shortcomings. We then can choose the way we interact with the world, based on our self-understanding, to give us the best out of life.
My fourth grade student does not stand alone, we all need to be reminded that it is important to think (and pray)  carefully and honestly about what should be done, as well as to keep in mind how others will be affected by what we do.
Every one of us has the right to be happy and to feel contentment and well-being. Making the intention to find our happiness even amongst times of turmoil is what drives us to press forward.
Perhaps tomorrow will be a “Green Day” for my fourth grader. “Deep deep in the sea, cool and quiet fish. That’s me.” If not, no sweat, just another opportunity for growth.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment